September 10, 2012

David Gordon Remembers Jim Sadowsky

Upon my return from the wake for James Sadowsky, SJ, I saw an email from his (and my) long-time friend David Gordon, to which was attached the text of his tribute to him, published this morning on LewRockwell.com.  I called him to thank him for the near-perfect remembrance, especially the recollection of several of "Jim's" many jokes, and for the kind insertion of links that provide David's readers immediate access to the text of almost all of Father Sadowsky's published writings. David's essay will bring them a new readership.

Most of the wake's few attendees had not a clue about the libertarian side of their fellow Jesuit, or even that, as a teenager in 1939, he had converted from Anglicanism to Roman Catholicism. James Sadowsky's influence lies mainly in the future.

As I knelt before his mortal remains (which the closed-casket funeral tomorrow morning will make impossible), the absence of the labored breathing that had recently encumbered his speaking had a calming effect. I thanked God for gracing me with a friend who was a man of great faith and intellectual integrity, both attributes enlivened by sharp wit. With the help of His grace I will never allow James Sadowsky's memory to fade.

Tony Flood